Educators respect and value the history of First Nations, Inuit and Metis in Canada and the impact of the past on present and the future. Educators contribute towards truth, reconciliation and healing. Educators foster a deeper understanding of ways of knowing and being, histories, and cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Metis.

As an educator, and student who minored in History, majored in Social Geography, and is currently enrolled in UNBC’s redesigned Bachelor of Education program, I deeply value and respect the histories and cultures of Canada’s First Nations, Inuit, and Metis.  I acknowledge the impact of the past on the present and future, and I consistently work toward bringing truth and reconciliation into the classrooms and schools where I teach and learn.  I hold the First Peoples Principles of Learning and the 9 Rs (Respect, Relationships, Responsibilities, Reciprocity, Relevance, Reverence, Reclamation, Reconciliation, and Reflexivity) set out by Kirkness and Barnhardt (1991) and Fraser (2021) in high regard and am keenly aware of the importance of fostering a deeper understanding of Indigenous ways of knowing and being. 

My approach to learning is based upon respect, responsibility, reciprocity, relevance, and reflexivity, and it helps me foster meaningful relationships and trust with my students–students who then feel safe sharing with me aspects of themselves, their family, their community, and their relationship to the world around them.

As a TTOC and practicum student, I encourage students to be patient and kind to themselves and others as they learn new concepts.  All of the lessons and units I plan are delivered via open, non-judgmental group discussions, posited on positive teacher/student and student/student relationships and connections.  Ideas and concepts are taught and learned experientially, through a mixture of explicit instruction, modelling, scaffolded support, practice, and student-doing.  Student understanding is dependent upon their participation in, and attentiveness to, class and group discussions and to assigned tasks (done in class, with support as needed).  Universal Design for Learning (UDL) is utilized to account for student diversity, allowing me to meet a broad range of student needs.

Lived Experience of Standard 9 in My Practicums

In my experiential practicum, I joined students on two fun-filled field trips to the local ski hill, where we enjoyed nature and connecting to the land with their families (siblings, parents, and even some grandparents/elders) on the traditional unceded territory of the Dakelh people.

Enjoying Nature with my Students – Troll Mountain 
Located on the traditional, unceded territory of the Dakelh people

In my formative practicum, my coaching teacher and I worked together to ensure that our classroom was a place of equitable learning, one where everyone felt safe and confident in their ways of knowing and being.  I planned lessons that would help me to gain meaningful insight into my students’ lives, so that I could really get to know them—their values, beliefs, likes, dislikes, interests, hobbies, strengths, and stretches.  Students completed “About Me” wheels and had opportunities to share them with me and the class (if they were comfortable doing so).  Students then used what they had discovered about themselves in their wheels to start exploring their future selves.  This unit, which I titled “Present Me to Future Me” allowed students to focus on self, family, and their place in the community—now and into the future.  

My coaching teacher and I also provided time and made outdoor opportunities a priority.  We recognized that being on the land was critical to student learning.  In my science unit, I made a concerted effort to bring in Indigenous perspectives.  I got students outside (on the land) to explore space and our relationship within the universe and our Solar System.  As a class, we discussed First Peoples’ perspectives of space and how Indigenous peoples have long looked to the sky for guidance and to help them predict and plan for change (in seasons, length of day, etc.).  

Aside our students, my coaching teacher and I collectively co-constructed, engaged, and participated in experiential, place-based learning, wherein we explored the local “Wilde Trail”, observed different local trees, how they changed with the seasons, and how they could be identified by their bark, cones, and needles (or lack of).

Entering the “Wilde Trail”
Observing local trees, alongside my CT and students
Pointing out various tree barks and their qualities
My students and I were excited to observe a local squirrel enjoying this teepee along the “Wilde Trail”

Students also had the opportunity make bird feeders for the local birds and squirrels, using cones I picked from the trees in my yard.

Feeder supplies – cones, string, natural peanut butter, and nuts & seeds
Rolling the peanut butter covered cones in nuts & seeds
The final results

And, they got to participate in two Dakelh language and culture lessons, which were delivered by an Indigenous educator from our district, Ms. Arlene Horutko.  Initially, my coaching teacher discussed cancelling these lessons (so as not to interfere with what I had planned for my practicum’s scope and sequence), but I was adamant that they continue as intended.  I moved my lessons around and, alongside my students and coaching teacher, enjoyed learning about Indigenous knowledge, language, culture, and stories.  

My coaching teacher and I also had the opportunity to attend our school district’s Indigenous Focus Day, wherein we joined together with all K-12 educators from our district to learn and grow in our collective understanding, knowledge, and application of Indigenous ways of knowing and being.  It was a powerful day of communal learning that opened with a morning prayer from local elder, Ellie Peters, followed by Indigenous drumming and guest speaker, Kevin Lamoureux (Ensouling our Schools).  Kevin spoke of the importance of Truth and Reconciliation and the 94 Calls to Action, specifically TRC 62.2: “providing teacher education on how to integrate and utilize Indigenous knowledge and teaching methods in classroom” (Truth and Reconciliation Commission of Canada).  Kevin highlighted teachers and the important role they (we) play in moving society forward, toward a better future for ALL children.  A future where schools are safer and happier places to learn (and teach).  Kevin emphasized Dr. Martin Brokenleg’s Circle of Courage, its four quadrants of Belonging, Independence, Mastery, and Generosity, and how important they are to trauma-informed practice and “Mino-Pimatisiwin”—living in a good way.  Kevin discussed how teachers must address all four quadrants, or core values, in order to create an environment where children can/will thrive. 

Following Kevin’s speech, my coaching teacher and I joined the rest of our school in planning an Indigenous Culture Day, set to take place in the coming weeks.  As a school, we discussed stations and activities ranging from Indigenous language games to Indigenous physical education games; from Indigenous stories and art to indigenous drumming and hoop dancing; as well as Bannock making.  Then, in the afternoon, I had the pleasure of joining Doreen L’Hirondelle, District Principal of Aboriginal Education, as she continued the conversation and facilitated group dialogue regarding the importance of the Circle of Courage and how it can be brought into our classrooms going forward:        

As a whole, my formative practicum was an enriching experience, one that honoured Standard 9, the First Peoples Principle of Learning, the 9 Rs, and Indigenous ways of knowing and being.  I look forward to future Indigenous-focused learning in my summative practicum, and in my teaching career to come.

Together in Education, 

Ms. H 

Snachalhuya

Indigenous Education & Epistomologies

Indigenous Art with the Talented Clayton Gauthier:

“Talo” – Salmon
“Datsan cho” – Raven

Lesson Plans Fostering a Deep Understanding of the Ways of Knowing, Being, Histories, and Cultures of First Nations, Inuit and Metis: