At the beginning of our first semester, we looked at Dawn Zingaā€™s chapter, ā€œTeaching as the Creation of Ethical Spaceā€, from Indigenous Education (Huia et al, 2019), wherein she tasked us with becoming more aware of the challenges facing Indigenous students in post-secondary spaces; with recognizing how educational spaces are highly contested and why; with seeing and understanding the ways in which we, as educators, are closely implicated in these contested spaces; with carving out ā€˜ethical spaceā€™ within educational institutions and our practices; and, most importantly, with acting and engaging purposefully in these ā€˜ethical spaces.ā€™

Now, at the beginning of our final semester in this course, we have been given the opportunity to revisit the idea of ā€˜ethical spaceā€™ as described by Professor Willie Ermine in his interview, ā€œWhat is Ethical Space?ā€ (McMasters University, 2010), and to start thinking about how we can construct a starting point with our coaching teacher for the intentional integration of the First Peoples Principles of Learning (FNESC).  As such, we need to go beyond the idea of ā€˜ethical spaceā€™ and focus on how it can be implemented ā€˜on the ground.ā€™  Ermineā€™s goal, much like Zingaā€™s, is aimed at doing just this: creating and carving out ethical spaces within a colonial system that has, historically, made no room for ā€˜otherā€™ ways of knowing or being.  As noted by Ermine: ethical space is a thoughtā€”an ideaā€”but thoughts and ideas are only powerful if they are put into action!  We must do something to foster ā€˜ethical spaceā€™ to really make a difference.

Ermine calls us to action, noting that, ā€œpeople are hungry for something that re-channels their thinking and the way things ought to beā€; going on to say that ā€œit comes from deep inside people, to do good, to be ethical.ā€  Ermine felt the hunger then (in 2010), and I feel it now.  As such, I dare to say that I am not concerned about my coaching teacherā€™s desire to work alongside me to intentionally integrate the FPPL during practicum.  Maybe I am being overly optimistic?!?  But I donā€™t think I am.  If my teaching experience has shown me anything, it is that teachers are ready for this change; students are ready for this change; administrators are ready for this change; and families and the community are as well!  How very exciting to be a part of the teaching profession during this change!

I look forward to working with my coaching teacher to create space where all knowledge is valued and, therefore, where all students (as humans) are valued.  Ermineā€™s ā€˜creation of an ethical spaceā€™, combined with Zingaā€™s ideas on ā€œethical spaceā€, the First Peoples Principles of Learning, and Dr. Tina Fraserā€™s 9 Rā€™s will serve as a roadmap to help me navigate the process.  These ideas and models will provide the perfect framework to start the important conversations; to act with my coaching teacher to ensure that the classroom we share is a place of equitable learning, where Indigenous learners, alongside their non-Indigenous peers, feel safe and confident in their ways of knowing and being.  A place where each individual is looked upon as human first; where there is no need to question difference (as was done so harshly in the past), but rather celebrate its value.  

I look forward to working together with my coaching teacher to create an ā€˜ethical spaceā€™ that welcomes and values one anotherā€™s knowledge and the knowledge of our students, their families, the community, and other staff members within the school.  I look forward to co-constructing and co-creating engaging school days for our studentsā€”to making school a space of fulfillment and enrichment for all involved! A space where the 9 Rā€™sā€”respect, relationships, responsibilities, reciprocity, relevance, reverence, reclamation, reconciliation, and reflexivityā€”are embodied and not just words on a paper!

Sources

Professor Willie Ermineā€™s ā€œWhat is Ethical Spaceā€ (McMasters University, October 1, 2010).

Dr. Tina Fraserā€™s 9 Rā€™s, based on the work of Kirkness and Barnhardt (1991) with the addition of her five Rā€™s (2021).

The First Peoples Principles of Learning (FNESC n.d.)

ā€œTeaching as the Creation of an Ethical Spaceā€ (Zinga, 2019) from Indigenous Education (Huia et al, 2019).