When I woke up this morning and seen that buses were not running, I knew that the day would not go as I had originally planned. And I was right!

With only 12 students in attendance (less than half), I had to shuffle my lessons and adapt. Originally, I was going to do my fourth and final formal lesson, with my coaching teacher set to observe. But this particular lesson entailed students presenting their career education projects and doing a final summative exit ticket task – something I wanted the whole class to take part in. I didn’t think that it was fair to continue without those students who did not make it to school due to no fault of their own (i.e. no transportation).

Luckily, I had collected cones a few days earlier for a bird-feeder project my coaching teacher had mentioned if time permitted. Well, today time permitted and the students had a great time!

And, what’s more, we had the opportunity to have guests from Quesnel Search & Rescue join us in our classroom to talk about the “Hug A Tree” program and teach students how they can keep themselves safe in the wilderness. This was extremely informative for all the students!

As this day shows, things won’t always go as you planned, but a willingness to adapt and be flexible can lead to rich and fabulous experiential learning for students and teachers 🙂